Health care is a fundamental right for every Manitoban. And public health care matters now more than ever.
The COVID-19 pandemic has shown us all how important public, universal health care is for families in Manitoba and across Canada.
Health care workers are there where we need them - they deserve our support.
But years of cuts and privatization have put our health care at risk at the worst possible time.
Because of poor decisions by the provincial government, Manitobans are waiting longer for the care they need. Our population is ageing and the pressure on hospitals and care providers continues to grow.
Manitoba has seen some of the worst outcomes during the pandemic - and Manitobans deserve to know there will be accountability.
Manitobans are done waiting. The time is now to commit to an independent public inquiry to take place this year, 2022.
You can find a shareable copy of the above graphic here.
We the undersigned call upon the Government of Manitoba to:
- Establish an independent Public Inquiry into the provincial response to COVID-19, to begin and be conducted in the 2022 calendar year
- Publicly release all public health advice received by the Premier and Minister of Health since the arrival of the Omicron variant in Manitoba
- Immediately support front-line health care workers with intensive recruitment and training for hospitals and Personal Care Homes
- Release the 2022 Health Budget early to allow health regions and facilities to plan effectively for the potential of future waves of COVID-19
- Take responsibility for the cuts and privatization efforts that have hampered Manitoba’s capacity to fight COVID-19